Saturday, July 4, 2009

Oh I've had Enough of Girls Camp Life, Gee Mom I'm Glad to Be Home

This week was girls camp. Not only that, but this year was the forth year hike. The hike started out easy not to hard, I got a blister but it was treated quickly so no big deal. But then it started to get a little hilly and a little more difficult. There were points when the path was hard to see and the ground was either rocky and rooty or muddy, but at lest it wasn't raining so it wasn't to muddy. On the hike there is one really hard hill each day, and on the first day it is a down hill. I know that most down hills are easy but this one was steep with rocks that slide under your feet when you step on them. I was grabbing every tree along the path in able to stabilize my self. One of the trees that I grabbed was a dead sapling that broke off from the ground in my hand and became my walking stick for the rest of the hike. It was a good stick and I am so glade I brought it with me. then we got to the camp ground which was really pretty. I played in the river and it was a lot of fun. The next day we only had 4 miles to hike, but one of those miles was Death Hill. Death Hill is really hard. It's not about how steep the hill was it was the fact that it was crazy long and a continual upward slop. Once or twice I thought that if only I didn't have my heavy pack I could make it so much easier. I also keep thinking That "I was in the poppy field" of the hike. Well finally I made it up the hill. I was way happy. We got a nice long break before we did the last mile. The last mile, thankfully enough, was flat ground with one small down hill. I was pump to have done it. I finished death hill. I was so proud. I wished that there was something substantial to put me apart from the other years who hadn't finished a 10 mile hike. The rest of camp past by fast. mostly it was hanging out with my friends. I realized that I had a lot of friends at camp. I had my cabin mates. from left to right they are Kim, Celea, and Emily. I also had a lot of other friends who weren't in my year, like Celine, and Genevieve, third years, and Brenna, who was a second year. Camp was really fun I loved hanging out with my friends from other wards. However it was exhausting and as the title of this blog suggest I am glade to be home.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you. I knew you would finish the hike and that it would be a wonderful experience for you. I think you will find that many things in life are difficult but as you keep working on them you will be able to overcome. I wish I could have been there with you. You obviously didn't need me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Now you are primed and ready for Trek! I am glad that you had a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, I'm so proud of You! That is a hard hike. I know when I went up death hill, I just about sat right down and gave up. Dad kept me going, but you did it all on your own. Congrats!!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. UM, You're a 4th year? how is that possible? You are growing up so fast! HA I am such a pansy! I never went on a 4th year hike. I am proud of you too!

    ReplyDelete